Life’s Simple 7 for a healthy heart, #1: GET ACTIVE!
Physical activity is one of the best things you can do for yourself; it increases energy levels, reduces stress, and lower your risks for heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
Goal: For heart health, exercise at least 150 minutes per week.
Ways to Get Active
Walking is one of your best bets to kick start your healthy heart routine – it’s safe, easy and free! Here are a few ways you can add some steps (and pep!) to your day:
- Pick a parking spot farther away from your destination (every little bit helps!)
- Opt for the stairs rather than the elevator
- Grab a leash and walk your dog (Fido will thank you for it!)
- Walk or bike to work or the corner store
- Plan a family walk or hike
If 30 minutes at a time seems like an unreachable goal, start small and work your way up. So lace up your most comfortable sneaks and get moving – today is a great day to take your first steps on the path to a healthier you!