Did you know … heart disease including stroke is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States, claiming the lives of more than 630,000 Americans each year?
February is American Heart Month, and it’s time to battle cardiovascular disease and learn what we can do to live heart-healthier lives.
Individuals at higher risk of heart disease:
• Women age 55 or older
• Men age 45 or older
• Individuals with a family history of early heart disease
The good news is that heart disease can be prevented.
To keep your heart healthy:
• Watch your weight.
• Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke.
• Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
• If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
• Get active and eat healthy.
• Manage stress.
• Talk to your doctor about taking aspirin daily if you are a man over the age of 45 or a woman over 55.
Stay tuned as we will be focusing on heart health all month!