A brain injury can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. It can affect who we are and the way we think, act and feel. Brain injury can change everything about us in a matter of seconds.
Just as each individual is unique, no two brain injuries are exactly alike. Brain injury is unpredictable in its consequences, with the effects varying greatly from person to person.
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a blow, jolt or bump to the head or a penetrating head injury that disrupts normal brain function. The most common causes of TBI are falls, car accidents, workplace accidents, and assaults.
TBI by the numbers:
- 1.7 million: The number of Americans who sustain brain injuries each year – one injury every 21 seconds
- 3.1 million: Individuals living with life-long disability due to TBI
- $76 billion: The annual direct medical costs and indirect costs (loss of productivity) of TBI, as estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The costs to treat brain injuries are staggering:
- Hospital-based acute rehab: $8,000 per day
- Post-acute residential: $850 to $2,500 per day
- Day treatment programs: $600 to $1,000 per day
Angel MedFlight medically transports brain injury survivors to top-notch rehabilitation facilities where they can access the specialized care that can greatly increase overall quality of life. We actively participate in brain injury awareness, education and advocacy through the Brain Injury Association of Arizona.
We honor the millions of individuals living with brain injury, their families and the professionals who care for them.